Monday, April 23, 2012

Going to the Dogs

 I don't think I've ever experienced a more ridiculous argument in a political campaign than the current controversy raging over dogs. If I didn't know that even a broken clock was right twice a day, it would pain me to admit that I'm actually forced to agree with Keith Olbermann: “It raises the level of absurdity to something exponential”  “With so many valuable questions going on, we’re wasting most of the time dealing with the dogs”.


  Allowing the media to channel the discussion into such nonsense as if it was the most momentous issue of the day doesn't augur well for the future reportage of the campaign. We deserve better, and should demand it, but as long as we let the carnival barkers lure us into side shows like this, it's all we're likely to get.

10 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

I plead guilty to feeding into the trivialities, although I did it more to celebrate the political propaganda defeat of the Obamunists.

You need a cool avatar, Viburnum, and congrats on building your own house here in Right Blogistan!

viburnum said...

It's an mostly just annoying distraction, but it's illuminating to see the usual suspects come by spouting the pointless point du jour. It's enough to make you wonder what's the going rate for irate.

Thanks for the welcome and the tip.

Always On Watch said...

You know what worries me? That some voters will actually base their vote upon how a candidate treats dogs.

viburnum said...

AOW: "... some voters will actually base their vote upon how a candidate treats dogs."

Really. Like we don't have anything better to worry about.

Remember all the hoopla about Johnson picking his beagle up by the ears? Or am I dating myself? ;-) He'd be impeached and then lynched today.

Ducky's here said...

Preach it brother viburmum, couldn't agree more.

It's clearly one of the pressing issues of the day. We can thank the press for this vapid nonsense.

One size fits all campaign photo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YL1R2cQhE

Ducky's here said...

...ooops wrong link to my political campaign shot.

Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77953387@N05/7107415523/in/photostream

Finntann said...

Smoke, meet Mirror. Mirror, Smoke.

Sometimes I think we'd be better off choosing our leaders with some kind of American Idol-Full Metal Jousting type competition. Maybe we could get the guys from Mythbusters to host it.

Cheers!

Finntann said...

Oh wait a minute... never mind.

ROFLMAO

Z said...

I don't know...some people are nuts and take a lot personally. The dog on the car cracks me up; every dog gets in a car and immediately sticks his head out the window for the wind. I'm thinkin' the dog loved the ride!:)

But, you're right...who really CARES?

Olbermann....ugh But he was right on this one.

KP said...

Full Metal Jousting rools.

For over 50 years, my dogs have loved putting their faces into 60mph winds from cars and trucks.

Moving away from dogs ... to "dawgs". How we livin'? Does anybody care if the Prez is mas macho, sexy or cool? I just want a freaking leader.